Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Fri Feb 11 05:13:40 PST 2011

The IETF has long been internally inconsistent abotu the citing of I-Ds.
IETF rules, and the boiler plate we put in each and every I-D says that
they can not be cited.
We have however, long permitted a particular partial form of citation.

I am sympathetic to the view that this inconsistency does no one much good.
But this list is not the place to change that.  This list is for RFC
policy.  What we are discussing is a matter of I-D policy.
If we want the IETF to change the policy on citation of I-Ds (and
recognize the reality of the persistence of I-Ds) then we have to have
that discussion on the IETF list.
Getting agreement and documenting a policy that recognizes reality seems
a good result to me.

One could argue that we should reach agreement here first.  But given
the history of this topic, having the debate here will not save any time
or effort later.

Yours,
Joel