Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Feb 10 14:25:29 PST 2011

On 2/10/2011 2:13 PM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> The point is that they're not ephemeral -- older drafts linger around.

Linger yes; are archival for the purposes of reference, no. Again, there
are plenty of IDs that were never on the web, and are just gone.

> And people (e.g. for patent precedence) want to be able to cite a particular
> draft of a particular date.

Sure - I'd consider that an exception requiring the filename, the same
way that personal email often cites the message ID when used in a patent
precedence case.

Joe