Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:16:17 PST 2011

On 2011-02-11 11:04, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 12:18 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> +10.
>>>
>>> I think Julian's language is exactly right. I think it is pretty silly
>>> to do anything to resist use of the name, since it makes it more effort
>>> to get the document, but difficult in the form of hassle. Designing to
>>> create hassle is bad design, except for stairway exits at the ground
>>> level (the hassle is to make it harder to keep going down.)
>
> These are ephemeral documents. Their file name is no more useful than
> their title and list of authors in a search engine, IMO.

It gets you the exact version. The title may get you a randomly
picked version.

> I think MAY is OK (for the filename), but SHOULD isn't, for that reason.
> It gives a misimpression of publication; again, the point is to cite for
> credit only.

Not so, if you actually want to discuss the details of a versioned draft.

This is not theory. Paul Hoffman has an example, and so do I:
draft-hu-flow-label-cases cites

   [34]  Winter, T. and P. Thubert, "RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low
         power and Lossy Networks", draft-ietf-roll-rpl-07 (work in
         progress), March 2010.

   [35]  Winter, T., Thubert, P., and R. Team, "RPL: IPv6 Routing
         Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks",
         draft-ietf-roll-rpl-11 (work in progress), July 2010.

because they are different in a crucial respect (one proposes to
use the flow label and the other one doesn't).

(Mr R. Team is an interesting side effect of xml2rfc.)

    Brian