[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Feb 10 08:07:13 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 07:57:42AM -0800, Ted Hardie wrote:

> on a good footing.  But the lines of authority have to be clear here. The RSE
> may conclude its a bad arrangment and the IASA has to take that into account,
> but the community is expecting the IASA to be the final authority on this.

I agree with this.  Moreover, I don't think I completely agree with
Dave's position that the RSE's advice always has primacy.  I don't
know about anyone else, but I have certainly been in employment
situations where people I had to work with were hired over my
arguments to the contrary.  There's usually more than one dimension to
the decision, and the RSE's view is not necessarily the privileged
one.

None of this is to deny the importance of that view.  It'll be a bad
situation indeed if there is this sort of unresolvable disagreement
and if people can't work out a compromise.  But I think BCP 101 is
clear on who's in charge in that case, and I don't think we want to
open that for debate.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.