[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Feb 9 01:25:02 PST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 12:13 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> With the current language, the IAOC could quite easily (and even unintentionally) agree to conditions that make the relationship difficult for the RSE to manage.
>
> I suggest therefore changing c) to read:
>
>   The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, with the approval of the RSE {and the IAB?}.
>
> If you want it more constrained, perhaps:
>
>   The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, {with the approval of the IAB and} with the RSE's approval of work-related details.

I believe that Ted's wording further on in the thread captures your concern.

I want to hook in on the role of the IAB.

[personal opinion]

I believe that when it comes to the role of the IAB in vendor selection for the production and publication functions it can be minimal. The IAB should be involved as one of the streams but I do not think it needs to 'micromanage' these details.

With its final authority over policy and RSE selection I would think the IAB has sufficient possibilities to implement its oversight responsibility on the right level.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,