[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 8 16:15:31 PST 2011

On 2/8/2011 3:25 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Dave CROCKER<dhc at dcrocker.net>  wrote:
>> The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, with the approval of the RSE
>> {and the IAB?}.
> This seems to me to shift the final authority to the RSE, since the RSE
> approves of IASA action. The former formulation has the final authority with
> IASA, including the ability to select.  I was pretty much assuming that was
> *from among candidates forwarded by the process the RSE manages*, which I
> realize is not explicit.

As I said, I think that Olaf's language that has the RSE develop the SOW and
select candidates is a huge improvement, with respect to RSE comfort.

That's why I tried to be clear that there is an /added/ concern during actual
contract negotiation.  All sorts of terms and conditions come up during that
sort of process, beyond what is in an SOW.  Some of them are financial or
administrative, but some of them pertain to the details of work.  Those are the
type that the RSE needs to agree to.

IASA has the responsibility for managing the contracting process and it has the
authority to declare the contract to be signable.

But it makes no sense to have IASA agree to whatever work details it prefers, if
the RSE finds them unacceptable. It creates an unworkable arrangement.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking