[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:25:27 PST 2011

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> With the current language, the IAOC could quite easily (and even
> unintentionally) agree to conditions that make the relationship difficult
> for the RSE to manage.
>
> I suggest therefore changing c) to read:
>
>   The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, with the approval of the RSE
> {and the IAB?}.
>
> If you want it more constrained, perhaps:
>
>   The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, {with the approval of the IAB
> and} with the RSE's approval of work-related details.

This seems to me to shift the final authority to the RSE, since the RSE approves
of IASA action. The former formulation has the final authority with
IASA, including
the ability to select.  I was pretty much assuming that was *from
among candidates
forwarded by the process the RSE manages*, which I realize is not explicit.

I was picturing that as something like the evaluation team lead by the
RSE recommending
two in rank order based on the responses to the RFP, with the IASA negotiating
with one or both on cost as part of the final selection.  Does that
match with how you'd
think it would normally go?

regards,

Ted