[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 8 15:13:03 PST 2011

On 2/8/2011 10:46 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>>> a) The RSE owns and develops the work definition (the SOW). The work
>>> definition is created within the (budgetary) boundary condition that are
>>> negotiated with IASA and takes into account the RSE's requirements and
>>> community input.
>>>
>>> b) The RSE manages the evaluation process (the bids agains the SOW) which
>>> leads to a recommendation to IASA
>>>
>>> c) The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts and has final authority.
>>>
>>> d) with the RSE to provide advice and assistance as the IASA deems useful
>>> in those later stages

This is quite a good list.

Having the RSE develop the SOW and recommend candidates will be especially good
at getting the RSE to be comfortable both with the final selection and with
their contract.

However this cannot specify all the details of the contract, nor should it, of
course.

However it means that it is possible (and I think likely) that some added
details that are developed during negotiation will directly or indirectly
pertain to substantive aspects of the contractor's relationship with the RSE.

With the current language, the IAOC could quite easily (and even
unintentionally) agree to conditions that make the relationship difficult for
the RSE to manage.

I suggest therefore changing c) to read:

    The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, with the approval of the RSE
{and the IAB?}.

If you want it more constrained, perhaps:

    The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts, {with the approval of the IAB
and} with the RSE's approval of work-related details.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking