[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Feb 8 10:46:43 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

>> --- start ---
>> a) The RSE owns and develops the work definition (the SOW). The work definition is created within the (budgetary) boundary condition that are negotiated with IASA and takes into account the RSE's requirements and community input.
>> b) The RSE manages the evaluation process (the bids agains the SOW) which leads to a recommendation to IASA
>> c) The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts and has final authority.
>> d) with the RSE to provide advice and assistance as the IASA deems useful in those later stages
>
> Perhaps its the contrast with "owns and develops" in the line above
> but "manages the evaluation process" seems a bit less specific than
> the other lines.  I don't want to over-specify, but I think it would
> be useful to express whether the RSE is 1) undertaking the process
> her/himself 2) managing a small group evaluating the bids 3) managing
> community input if the bids are public.

I believe that to be 2)

Where (left unspecified) IASA representation is part of that group, and possibly some stream representation. Since this is indirectly a service to the various streams, I believe that would be the good thing to do. That should be part of tradition rather than specification.

                                       Science Park 140,