[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Feb 8 09:05:08 PST 2011

On Feb 6, 2011, at 9:30 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 11:19 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>> On 2/5/11 7:06 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>>> I think that while the cases you describe could arise, they are NOT best
>>> dealt with by more precise rules.
>>> The general structure we have discussed, involving
>>> a) the RSE providing useable input to the work definition process, based
>>> on both the RSE's skills and community input
>>> b) with the IASA owning the responsibility for contracting, including
>>> final selection and negotiation
>>> c)

>>> seems to make sense.
>>
>> Those are three precise rules that are not in the current document. They (or ones that define different entities who provide advice and who are responsible) should be in the document.
>

> My thinking could be misaligned depending on the details of how 'b' and 'c' interact, but this description is good enough for me.
>
> I think that this is the process by which the IASA (and IAB) empower the RSE and while final responsibilities are good where they are I believe a lot should be delegated if at all possible.

Thinking (and talking with Glenn) about this a bit more and trying to rephrase Joel's set a bit towards where my thinking is (reordered):

--- start ---
a) The RSE owns and develops the work definition (the SOW). The work definition is created within the (budgetary) boundary condition that are negotiated with IASA and takes into account the RSE's requirements and community input.
b) The RSE manages the evaluation process (the bids agains the SOW) which leads to a recommendation to IASA
c) The IASA selects, negotiates and contracts and has final authority.
d) with the RSE to provide advice and assistance as the IASA deems useful in those later stages

I've changed the wording "RSE skills" because I did not quite understand how they fit into providing input to the work definition?  Joel can you clarify what you mend with RSE Skills in your text?

Is the above usable as the consensus summary?

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,