[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Expected hours of work for the RSE

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Feb 8 07:38:15 PST 2011

On 2/8/11 5:18 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
> Your estimates where 15 hrs per week, correct?

Almost: that was the minimum without time for the expected training and
for personal initiatives. At the end of the estimates, I explicitly
added 33% to that for training and initiatives.

> In the spirit of using
> the best bits for estimating 0.5 FTE sounds about right, doesn't it?

Yes, exactly.

> What I think is more important is that that the hours cannot be
> evenly spread but there are 80-100% peaks (e.g. during IETF weeks, or
> when the person starts the job).

Correct. I budgeted those as full-time even though the RSE will probably
not be doing any of the listed tasks for at least half the hours at the
meeting. The rest can/should be spent running the IETF hallway
communication protocol (ad hoc peer discovery, multichannel interrupts,
lossy delay-tolerant scheduling, and variable-size cookies).

> Would the following description work:
>
> "The job is expected to take on average half of an FTE (approx 20 hrs
> per week) whereby the workload per week is expected to be near full
> time during IETF weeks, be over 20 hours per week in the first few
> months of the engagement, and higher during special projects."

Yep.