[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Sun Feb 6 12:30:19 PST 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 11:19 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On 2/5/11 7:06 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> I think that while the cases you describe could arise, they are NOT best
>> dealt with by more precise rules.
>> The general structure we have discussed, involving
>> a) the RSE providing useable input to the work definition process, based
>> on both the RSE's skills and community input
>> b) with the IASA owning the responsibility for contracting, including
>> final selection and negotiation
>> c) with the RSE to provide advice and assistance as the IASA deems
>> useful in those later stages
>>
>> seems to make sense.
>
> Those are three precise rules that are not in the current document. They (or ones that define different entities who provide advice and who are responsible) should be in the document.

My thinking could be misaligned depending on the details of how 'b' and 'c' interact, but this description is good enough for me.

I think that this is the process by which the IASA (and IAB) empower the RSE and while final responsibilities are good where they are I believe a lot should be delegated if at all possible.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,