[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Sat Feb 5 19:06:06 PST 2011

I think that while the cases you describe could arise, they are NOT best
dealt with by more precise rules.
The general structure we have discussed, involving
a) the RSE providing useable input to the work definition process, based
on both the RSE's skills and community input
b) with the IASA owning the responsibility for contracting, including
final selection and negotiation
c) with the RSE to provide advice and assistance as the IASA deems
useful in those later stages

seems to make sense.

There are already procedures in place to cope if anyone involved does
something extremely stupid.  Trying to tie peoples hands sufficiently so
that they can not do stupid things, seems to me inevitably to lead to
their hands being sufficiently tied that they can not do smart things.

Yours,
Joel