[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Who chooses the Production Center and Publisher

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Feb 5 18:20:10 PST 2011

On 2/2/2011 5:12 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
>> It has to be IASA, unless we amend BCP 101 (which I don't believe we
>> should do).
>>
>> The IAB also must approve the choice, unless we amend BCP 39 (which I
>> don't believe we need to do, either).
>

> That my view as well.  It's important that the RSE and streams be involved in
> this process, but the responsibility needs to be with the IASA.

The specifics of responsibility and authority definitely need to be made clear,
here, but the issues are not at all straightforward.  The IAB has a core
responsibility, and no one is talking about taking it away.  And the RSE must
manage the ongoing work.

If the RSE insisted on a particular candidate, would the IASA choose someone else?

If the RSE declared a particular candidate unfit for the job, would IASA still
hire them?

Same questions for IASA's actions relative to IAB opinions?

For those familiar with some relatively recent history, they will recognize that
my questions are not purely theoretical.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking