[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Expected hours of work for the RSE

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:53:00 PST 2011

On 2011-02-05 12:23, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 2/4/11 2:48 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> My impression is that almost everyone who's looked closely at the job
>> (as in "Should I apply for it?") has come up with the view that it is
>> well above half-time initially, and probably above half-time in
>> a steady state.
>
> I have looked closely at the job (as in "Should I apply for it") and
> came up with the numbers I posted earlier in this thread.
>
>> And I am not extrapolating from my own state of mind, since I've
>> never contemplated applying for it ;-)
>
> Understood, but you are speaking for other people without naming them.

Apologies for that, but I can't post details of private conversations.

> Following in those steps, before sending these numbers, I spoke with
> another person who had earlier applied for the job and he thought my
> numbers were fine, and said nothing about "well above half-time
> initially". I also passed them by another party who had not considered
> applying for the job but has been following the discussion carefully,
> and he made only one tweak (which was reflected in the numbers I sent).

But as others have pointed out, if you treat the job entirely as
process management or 'bureaucratic' job, you miss out the intangible
part of the role, and that I think is the discrepancy.

> If you can get the people who made your impression to come forward with
> their estimates, that would help this discussion a lot.

Maybe, but presumably if they are still interested in the topic
they are here and can speak up.

   Brian