[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Expected hours of work for the RSE

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Feb 4 15:39:25 PST 2011

On 2/4/11 2:11 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> Community:
>> Expected major projects, each taking 60 hours of dedicated time,
>> two per year: 120 hr/year, or 10 hr/month
>
> 1.5 work weeks for the leader of a major project -- where 'major' likely
> means both strategic and involving a wide and number of participants --
> seems quite low. I'd guess it easily reaches 2 hrs/week for a year.

Possibly so. However, I was looking at it based on Olaf's description of
the job. The RSE leads the (likely vigorous) community discussion on the
major projects, then summarizes and makes the the changes. My
approximation was "10 hours to write up what we have all heard before,
40 hours to manage the discussion to community consensus, and 10 hours
to write up the final document". How would you break out your 120 hours?

>> Passive following of rfc-interest, ietf-general: 5 hr/month
>
> a little over 1 hour per week for the primary, public list of the RFC
> Editor does seem light, unless community involvement with the RFC Editor
> lies fallow.

As I said in my earlier response, the amount of traffic on this list
that is not about Production Center topics is pretty light. Are you
assuming that the RSE would be / should be the responder on those topics?

>> Annual summary review of Production Center and Publisher:
>> 12 hr/year, or 1 hr/month
>
> 1.5 work days to produce an annual report? And this lists only the PC
> and Pub functions, not he rest of the RFC Editor activities. Doesn't
> that also need an annual report?

Yes. Given that the annual report for the PC and Pub functions would be
a summarizing of the already-accounted-for monthlies plus some overview
of what changed during the year, that seems like a few hours work. Add
in a few hours to write up the rest of the RSE activities, that seemed
like about a dozen hours.

>> Contract reviews:
>> Prepare SOW, help prepare RFP, help interview candidates:
>> 48 hours every 2 years, or 2 hr/month
>

>> Adding a generous 33% more hours, for a total of 20 hr/week, should
>> be plenty for both the short term (learning but few spontaneous
>> projects) and the long term.
>
> Community work and serious coordination efforts tend to be far more time
> consuming than we realize.

Could be true. Can you categorize where else you would add in hours to
the estimate I gave, or do a greenfield one of your own? Like the
earlier discussion, the result of this can take some unexpected twists
when many people get specific.