[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Expected hours of work for the RSE

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Feb 4 14:11:35 PST 2011

> Community:
> Expected major projects, each taking 60 hours of dedicated time,
> two per year: 120 hr/year, or 10 hr/month

1.5 work weeks for the leader of a major project -- where 'major' likely means
both strategic and involving a wide and number of participants -- seems quite
low.  I'd guess it easily reaches 2 hrs/week for a year.

> Passive following of rfc-interest, ietf-general: 5 hr/month

a little over 1 hour per week for the primary, public list of the RFC Editor
does seem light, unless community involvement with the RFC Editor lies fallow.

> Annual summary review of Production Center and Publisher:
> 12 hr/year, or 1 hr/month

1.5 work days to produce an annual report?  And this lists only the PC and Pub
functions, not he rest of the RFC Editor activities.  Doesn't that also need an
annual report?

> Contract reviews:
> Prepare SOW, help prepare RFP, help interview candidates:
> 48 hours every 2 years, or 2 hr/month

> Adding a generous 33% more hours, for a total of 20 hr/week, should
> be plenty for both the short term (learning but few spontaneous
> projects) and the long term.

Community work and serious coordination efforts tend to be far more time
consuming than we realize.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker