[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 2: Expected hours of work for the RSE

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Feb 3 10:20:03 PST 2011

On 2/1/11 12:13 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 1/31/11 11:48 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>> My intention is that this document serves as the basis for RFC5620bis
>> and for the creation of job descriptions. Since for multiple reasons
>> we are a stressed for time, I would like to complete the description
>> of what is either consensus or a decision very soon.
>
> One area that is not covered at all in this draft and for which there
> was disagreement is the number of hours that the RSE job is expected to
> entail. Section 6 of Glenn's "motivations" document lists some of his
> estimates, I gave lower ones a few weeks ago, and a few people have
> given much higher ones on the list.
>
> Coming to consensus on a range of expected hours will have a significant
> impact on the job description. I apologize for not bringing this up
> sooner as I said I would, but I thought Glenn was meant to be coming out
> with a revised model draft in which this would be discussed.

This topic is still pretty vital to being part of the description, so
I'll toss in my own proposal, and am interested to hear different ones.
I structured these around the same organization that Glenn did earlier.

Meetings:
	RFC Editor team weekly meetings, plus prep: 8 hr/month
	IAB bi-monthly meetings, plus prep: 5 hr/month
	IETF meetings: 24 day/year, or 16 hr/month
Community:
	Expected major projects, each taking 60 hours of dedicated time,
		two per year: 120 hr/year, or 10 hr/month
	Passive following of rfc-interest, ietf-general: 5 hr/month
	Lightweight following of interactions between authors
		and the Production Center: 8 hr/month
Reporting:
	Monthly summary of Production Center numbers: 4 hr/month
	Annual summary review of Production Center and Publisher:
		12 hr/year, or 1 hr/month
Contract reviews:
	Prepare SOW, help prepare RFP, help interview candidates:
		48 hours every 2 years, or 2 hr/month

Total: ~59 hr/month, or ~15 hr/week

There will certainly need to be extra learning time in the first six
months, as well as additional time for smaller spontaneous projects.
Adding a generous 33% more hours, for a total of 20 hr/week, should
be plenty for both the short term (learning but few spontaneous
projects) and the long term.