[rfc-i] seeking Mac OSX text-only print driver

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Aug 10 14:50:51 PDT 2011

On Aug 10, 2011, at 1:52 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I'm looking for a print driver for Mac OSX that can be configured to print out only ASCII text, notably fixed-width text, ala Courier.
>
> This will help me support the Word RFC tools on Macs better; they already work on Windows using the "generic text printer".
>
> If any of you have any ideas, e.g., use of a daisy-wheel printer driver, or some other trick, please contact me.

Potentially somewhat off-topic, but then again, maybe not…

I often want to print drafts / RFCs because I find it easier to review / read them on dead trees.
I was not able to find an easy way to print them in a pretty manner (duplex, one "page" per page, fixed width, etc) and so I wrote something in Python that will convert the draft to a PDF (using Reportlab) and then printing it using lpr.

Code / a bit more detail is here: https://www.kumari.net/index.php/programming/programmingcat/45-printrfcordraft

Might this be a useful approach?