[rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Apr 20 13:46:17 PDT 2011

> Whether the FYI series still has utility, and how that utility is advertised, is a question that will be tabled for a future RSE, the answer depends a lot on whether the streams and the community see this subseries as useful. So far I haven't seen much enthusiasm.

I tend to agree.  Given the limited human resources of the IETF, I'm
generally not in favor of keeping things around just in case someone might
want to do something with them at some time in the future.

Also, the need for what the FYI series does, introducing the Internet to
people who aren't familiar with it, is vastly reduced from what it was in
the 1990s and continuing to shrink, if sales of "Internet for Dummies" are
any indication.

Regards,