[rfc-i] Enhancement proposal for RFC Errata Search

Alfred Hönes ah at TR-Sys.de
Thu Oct 14 01:38:38 PDT 2010

The RFC Production Center wrote [and according to RFC 5620,
they actually might have been speaking for the RFC Publisher
function jointly contracted to the same party  :-) ] :

> Alfred,
>
> FYI, the date submitted is a partial match, so some useful ranges are
> possible. For examples:
> For all errata submitted this year, search Date Submitted: 2010.
> For all errata submitted last month, search Date Submitted: 2010-09.

Thanks for these hints!
Indeed, this is a valuable option that I didn't recognize so far.
I tried it, and it works very well.

> Thank you for the detailed suggestions. However, at this time, we
> believe it is a higher priority to improve the search functionality
> of the RFC search engine (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html).
> The usefulness and the potential audience of an improved/modernized
> RFC search engine seems more beneficial than improving the errata
> search engine.

The RFC repository has a simple structure, is almost static (besides
steady additions in a highly predictable part, by new RFC publications)
and can be easily mirrored.
Thus, many folks do so and perform RFC searches locally (and even
offline), using their preferred tools, not via rfcsearch.html.
The XML form of the RFC index also enables local search by metadata.

In contrast, the Errata information is rather complex and highly
dynamic and it cannot easily be mirrored -- which all makes sense.
Thus, the /info/rfcXXXX pages and the errata.php are the only available
options for locating and searching RFC Errata.

These circumstances make Errata Search an essential tool, whereas some
aspects of "RFC Search++" IMO seem to be more like a "would be nice to
have" feature.  (Of course, some changes perhaps deserve high priority,
for instance providing links to the /info/ pages in the search results
-- as promised in the discussion towards RFC 5741 -- instead of the
'bypassing' direct links to the RFC documents.)

As always, YMMV.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.