[rfc-i] RFC Series Editor -- Job Description

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 30 20:51:37 PST 2010

>> The RSE reports to a member of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB).
>
> Why *one* member? Would the RSE not take the liaison slot on the IAB?

Different reporting models have been discussed.  Some discussions I've heard
(not on the list) used this and I thought it worth citing for this draft, to see
how folks react.

There are two different questions.  One is whether to report to one person or to
a committee.  The other is who, if one person.

Reporting to a committee is a tricky business, except in particular
circumstances, such as a CEO (and maybe especially then.)  A committee isn't
focused, especially one like the IAB.  Yet a 'reporting' relationship needs
focus and continuity.  So I thought it worth testing the waters to cite
person-to-person reporting relationship.

As for /which/ supervisor to cite, the only alternative that seems logical is
the IAB Chair and the IAB Chair is already seriously overloaded.  So, the IAB
can choose one among itself to have this on-going duty.  Note that this does not
take away any of the ultimate authority or responsibility that the IAB has been
assigned.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker