[rfc-i] On two committees

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Nov 30 12:31:59 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:18:19AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> from the details of oversight of the Secretariat etc.). And of course it's
> Management 101 that you do that by delegating the routine oversight to
> another committee.
>
> I have a preference for that other committee to be selected by some sort of
> community process rather than appointed by the IAB; that seems to be
> the Internet way.

It seems to me that it's also management 101 that the person who does
the delegating picks the delegates.

If the idea is to have a committee that's appointed by the NomCom,
then I don't think it's reasonable to have the formal responsibility
for the RSE with the IAB: this is yet another opportunity for
responsibility without authority.

But I have no trouble with the IAB being able to select a committee to
which it delegates the regular oversight of the RSE (and I thought
that's what was being proposed).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.