[rfc-i] Classifying pre-IETF RFCs

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue Nov 30 08:27:01 PST 2010

On 11/30/2010 8:19 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Some notes about pre-IETF RFCs classifying.
>
> Now I agree that early RFCs does not need modern
> classification. However I think it would be acceptable
> if we mark them in accordance with RFC1000 (but
> if they have RFC2026 category, they will remain it
> while getting the RFC1000 status).
>
> What do you think about this?

I think RFC1000 exists, which is fine. A new RFC could provide a
different view of those first 1000 RFCs, or pre-2026 RFCs as a whole.
There could be many such roadmaps, and they need not agree.

Regardless, though, these are just roadmap docs, NOT labels that belong
in an index - largely because they are post-facto organizations, not
a-priori tracks decided by the community or the authors at the time they
were submitted.

Joe