[rfc-i] On two committees

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 16:32:44 PST 2010

In brief:

In the model I have in mind, the RSE could choose
to appoint an advisory committee to advise him or her,
entirely at the RSE's discretion. Actually I reckon that
anybody, doing any job, can do this. No need for BCP text
about this.

The other part of my model is to introduce community-based
oversight in some form, just as we did when reorganising
IETF administration, which is why I suggested an Oversight
Committee.

My not-hidden concern here is to ensure that there *is*
oversight while offering the IAB the chance to get out
of the details. Note, I am *not* criticising the IAB for
stepping up to the mark over the last couple of years;
somebody had to. But isn't it odd for a group with
"architecture" in its name to be responsible for documents
such as RFC 5741?

All details TBD of course, but that is my top level concern.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter