[rfc-i] new draft summarizing updated Transitional RFC Editor recommendations now available

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:46:15 PST 2010

Hi Olaf,

On 2010-11-24 09:18, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
> I would also be interested why the Oversight Committee got introduced between the plenary presentation and the current document. I haven't seen a lot of public discussion that argued for such major chance.

At the risk of adding to confusion, let me

a) Confess that this was my suggestion, in a short conversation
with Glenn on the Friday in Beijing. The reasoning was that it
seems to me that, in order for the IAB to perform its duties acording
to its charter (approve an organization and approve general policy),
there needs to be something bearing responsibility between
the RSE and these two high level up/down decisions by the IAB.
Clearly, the IAB shouldn't be involved in day to day oversight
and policy formation, and the RSE shouldn't be freewheeeling
between the hopefully rare occasions when the IAB has to take
one of those up/down decisions.

b) Show my original text on this suggestion. It isn't by any
means perfect, but this was my raw input:

>> 5.1. RFC Editor Oversight Committee (REOC)
>>
>> This committee exercises routine oversight over the RFC Editor
>> and RFC Series.
>>
>> 5.1.1. Duties
>>
>> The REOC has the following duties:
>>
>>  * Support the RSE in the process of community consultation.
>>
>>  * Support the RSE in developing new or modified policy proposals on an
>>    "advise and consent" model.
>>
>>  * Support the RSE in presenting general policy proposals for approval
>>    by the IAB.
>>
>>  * Receive and review regular progress reports from the RSE.
>>    [Note: this is *not* the IAB's job.]
>>
>>  * Support the RSE in regular reporting to the community.
>>
>>  * Promptly bring any serious issues with the Series to the IAB's attention.
>>
>>  * When required, participate with the IASA in the RFP and contracting
>>    process for components of the RFC Editor function.
>>    [Note: this is *not* the IAB's job.]
>>
>>  * When required, act as the hiring committee for the RSE, in liaison
>>    with IASA.
>>    [Note: this is *not* the IAB's job.]
>>
>> 5.1.2. Membership
>>
>> The REOC shall have one voting member appointed by each major RFC stream
>> (IETF, IAB, IRTF, Independent) and one voting member appointed by
>> the IETF NomCom and confirmed by the IAB.
>>
>> Terms will be two years renewable (with three one year terms initially, to
>> stagger the renewals).
>>
>> The RSE shall be a non-voting member.
>>
>> There may be a non-voting IASA liaison member.
>>
>> The REOC shall elect its chair among the the voting members.

Regards
    Brian