[rfc-i] new draft summarizing updated Transitional RFC Editor recommendations now available

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Nov 23 14:11:15 PST 2010

> While I have not yet written up my comments on the doc, one of the issues
> I have touches very strongly on this--that the introduced Oversight Committee
> explicitly excludes anyone serving on the approving bodies for one of the
> stream.  So no one on the IAB, IESG, or IRSG can serve.  That seems the
> wrong direction to go, in my opinion.

Why is it the wrong way to go?

Institutionally, putting representatives of the streams in an oversight or
supervisory capacity to the entity that is to lead arbitrations among them
is structurally unsound.

The proposal doesn't forbid prior members of any body serving.  So expertise
from having worked in a stream is welcome.  But keep off folks currently in
the midst of their stream's job seems like a reasonable way to provide
a modest "air gap" in the responsibility chain.

Thanks!

Craig