[rfc-i] ebooks (or pagination considered harmful)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:21:09 PST 2010

There's a built-in conflict here. Page numbers were invented
for a reason: so that I can refer to the 9th line of text
(excluding the header) on page 5 of RFC 2223.

If documents are repaginated, this breaks and can't be fixed.
It also breaks the table of contents in every RFC.

I've had no real problem dealing with RFCs whose pagination doesn't
match my screen windows. Why should ebook technology be special?
It's just a lame single-window device.

What does the ebook world in general do about this problem that it
has created?

Regards
   Brian Carpenter