[rfc-i] My comments on http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-00.txt

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:59:24 PST 2010

On 2010-11-19 02:58, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I still don't know what to think about the broad/narrow choice.  I
> will tell you that finger-wagging, accusatory (not to say
> condescending) messages to the list make me feel like my initial
> impulse to put my head under the covers was the right one.

Let me try some arguments.

1. Broad:

We need the RFC series to be a solid, well respected,
authoritative publication method, widely accepted as neutral with
respect to various vendors and service providers. That means
it needs lots of checks and balances and a transparent process.

The IETF process alone isn't enough for that, because it can always
be suspected of a certain degree of capture by major vendors.
This is why we also need two major streams and review methods in
addition to the IETF and IAB streams: the IRTF/IRSG stream to represent
the research community, and the Independent stream as a publisher
of properly reviewed contrarian or alternative opinions and mechanisms.
(The hypothetical RFC Editor stream is somewhat secondary.)

To make such a document series work, it requires consistent
oversight at more than an administrative or production level;
there needs to be a proactive source of strategy and policy that
is responsive to the wider community (not just the IETF community).
The IAB is chartered only with very general oversight:
"The IAB must approve the appointment of an organization to
act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor."
Therefore, the RFC Editor (however it is organized) requires a
strong and broad leadership function that can propose and implement
this general policy, as well as supervising the associated
production and publication work.

2. Narrow:

[I have some difficulty here, because I don't see how a narrow
model makes any sense, but here goes. Excuse me if this reads
like caricature.]

The IETF, IRTF and IAB processes produce trustworthy documents
and there is no need for additional checks and balances.
The Independent stream has no particular value (various crypto
algorithms, proprietary protocols, and the material rejected
by IETF WGs and ADs, can be published elsewhere). All that is
needed is someone to publish a style manual and act as go-between
between the production house, the publisher, and the IAD when
there's a contract issue. When something goes serioulsy wrong,
the IAB will give up Internet architecture for a few months to
micro-manage the details.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter