[rfc-i] Some comments draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-00 and a suggestion

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Nov 10 21:36:56 PST 2010

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:48:49AM +0800, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> For some reason, I feel compelled to press for a different labeling of
> the competing types of RSE job:  junior versus senior.

While I understand your alternative categorization, and think you can
make an argument for it, I picked the labels deliberately so as to
avoid the obvious issue that the labels you've picked have something
of an emotional charge to them.

In addition, I'm concerned that your descriptions are loaded enough
that they verge on begging the question.  In particular, in the
message I posted, I suggested that those who prefer the narrow
construction might believe there are duties that should be done by
someone else, that are maybe just not important, or else that are
something which should not actually be done.  In your remarks, you say,

> duties.  The junior description leaves duties for attending to the
> various strategic aspects of the RFC Editor unassigned.

By describing things that way, you are assuming that there are such
aspects.  I was attempting to suggest, in my note, that one needs an
argument for such a position.  I was also attempting to suggest that
the draft, as it stands, is missing the crucial premises that it ought
to be offering as evidence: the experiences that the TRSE had during
his tenure.  If in fact there are no such experiences, that could mean
that the aspects of the job may not actually exist or be important.
It will not do for us to make up our minds about this before the
evidence is in.

I simply don't know what to conclude about this topic.  But I am sure
that it is harmful to adopt terms that imply one option is inherently
better than another, or to assume aspects of the conclusion about the
very subject that is most controversial, when one is deliberating
about what to conclude.  The current debate is polarized, and I
suggest that neutral terms and careful assumptions about what is and
is not up for debate will help us make our decision with clear heads.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.