[rfc-i] Overview document available

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Mon Nov 8 09:21:37 PST 2010

> On 2010-11-07 16:27, Joe Touch wrote:

>>> That really isn't accurate. Firstly, the reviews are not just a sanity
>>> check. I can testify to that as both a reviewer and as a reviewee.
>>> They are
>>> real reviews, performed by a peer, but not single-blinded like most
>>> reviews
>>> for conferences and journals. And the ISE does sometimes request more
>>> than
>>> one review, although it's true that is an exception.
>>>
>>> This is a lot more than a threshold check.
>>
>> The fact that the reviewers have augmented their task beyond a sanity
>> check is outside the scope of the current review recommendations:
>> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/reviewer.guide.txt
>>
>> The technical threshold is competence, not quality, as is typically
>> implied by the phrase "peer review".
>>
>> And I don't know of any other venue in which one such review is called
>> "peer review". That would never fly if what we were measuring were quality.
>
> We disagree.

About what part?

- that reviewer.guide.txt uses the term "competence" only?

- that reviewers exceed their charter?

- that "peer review" implies quality, not just competence?

- that "peer review" implies multiple reviews, not just one?

Or do you seriously think that Individual submissions are now
peer-reviewed in the same sense as any other common venue (IEEE, ACM,
IFIP, etc.)?

Joe