[rfc-i] Qualifications of the RFC Series Editor

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat Nov 6 19:39:12 PDT 2010

(as long as I'm highlighting some issues...)

There might be some continuing debate about the specific responsibilities and
authorities of the RSE, and this could affect what I'll offer, here.  But based
on the tasks I see described so far:

The RSE needs 'executive' skills and needs publishing skills tailored for our
needs.

"Executive" is typically distinguished from (mere) manager by virtue of
initiative and scope.  They are tasked with thinking and acting strategically
and on their own initiative.  Managers are more typically tactical.  (Obviously,
organization vary in how they use these terms, but I'm reflecting what I
understand to be the more typical usages.)  Initiative does not mean acting by
fiat; it means starting efforts.  Some efforts can be performed entirely
independently.  Others require collaboration and consent of other parts of the
community.

With respect to technical expertise:  As with any technical writer, they need to
be comfortable working with technical material, but I do not see any task for
them that requires their being technical themselves.

It is tempting to want to return to this very appealing aspect of Jon Postel's
role, since he did it painfully well, but it no longer fits the reality of the
RFC Editor's function. Each Stream now has its own review and approval mechanism.

Unless I've misunderstood what has been taking place in the RFC Editor's
activities for more than 10 years, they do not participate in reviewing or
modifying technical content anymore and they would get their organization hand
slapped if they tried to change that.

In fact, it can easily be argued, having an RSE who is a technical expert will
distract them for their primary duties.  (I earned my way through undergraduate
school as a computer operator; my very savvy manager said he hired me /in spite
of/ my knowing how to program, because programming was more interesting.  He
was, quite right.)

And as I've heard someone else comment, requiring an RSE to be technical merely
serves to /severely/ reduce the pool of candidates.  (This was apparently part
of the problem with the first round of effort to get an RSE, last year...)

Let's make sure that the job requirements are tied to the actual duties to be
performed.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker