[rfc-i] Overview document out by Wednesday, and Transitional RFC Editor process toward, during, and just after Beijing

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Nov 1 07:48:52 PDT 2010

At 7:15 AM -0700 11/1/10, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>On 11/1/2010 7:03 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>If at all possible, please make it clear when you are describing what is in the draft and what it is you have heard from others about the draft.
>

>"what you have heard from others"???

Correct. As you quote below, Glenn said that he was going to integrate comments from the RSAG. Given the membership of RSAG, it is likely that there will be possibly conflicting comments from different RSAG members.

>You want an overview document to be highly annotated with sourcing information?

No, nor did I say that. Your hyperbole engine seems to be revving a bit high this morning.

>What exactly is the problem you are worried about, particularly given:
>
>      "This overview will include all high-level recommendations in draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-00.  I will integrate community and RSAG comments received so far into the overview document."
>
>and why are you trying to increase the burden of creating the overview?

Because a summary document that says "the document being revised says A, and the proposed change is B" is confusing when the draft in fact says "C", but the author got a comment that said "B". I think it is reasonable to increase the burden on Glenn so that the rest of us do not have to read both his overview and his draft in order to determine if something in the overview is a comment from someone else, given that he might not end up incorporating all the comments if there is disagreement.

This is the same problem that has been faced by many IETF WGs in the past, so applying similar process logic seems reasonable.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium