[rfc-i] transitional rfc series editor (TRSE) third report, and 9 June report to the IAB Boston retreat, posted to the RSE web page

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jun 23 15:10:54 PDT 2010

At 12:37 PM -0700 6/23/10, SM wrote:
>Hi Glenn,
>At 08:56 23-06-10, Glenn Kowack wrote:
>>Transitional RFC Series Editor (TRSE), report #3 is now available on the rse web
>
>According to Section 2.1.2 of report #3:
>
>  "Maintaining a Style Guide is cited as an RSE responsibility
>   in RFC 5620 and the Transitional RSE Job Description
>   (4 November 2009). However, it is not an explicit TRSE action
>   item. I have chosen to look into this now because making
>   improvements could pay for the investment with improved
>   efficiency. It may also be possible to use a lightweight,
>   incremental approach to making additions to the guide.
>   If so, the earlier we begin the better."
>
>The current style guide at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/rfc-style is labelled as a draft.  If you cannot have a revised Style Guide as an explicit TRSE action item, could you consider producing a Style Guide instead of leaving it in a draft state?  There is a reference in there (RFCs07) which is in preparation (July 2007).  If it is not too much work, it would be good to fix the little nits before the community gets into IEN137.

+1. The style guide went through a fair amount of revision around five years ago, and the changes that are probably desired now are deltas to the current style guide. Report #3 also says:

>Among other things, I need to determine if RFC Editor staff have time to work on this without impacting RFC throughput.

How could taking their time *not* impact RFC throughput? They have a style guide that they are happy with; the deltas would come from the community, presumably not them.

>We will investigate how the community should participate in this.

Just ask! :-) That's what this mailing list has historically been used for.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium