[rfc-i] RFC citations committee - invitation to participate

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Jul 19 10:31:58 PDT 2010

Hi folks:

At the suggestion of the interim RSE, I'm forming a small committee tasked
with working on some issues relating to citing RFCs.  In particular,
the committee has been asked to:

    * determine the right ISSN entry format for the RFC series and ensure
      it is WorldCat

    * determine how documents in the RFC series cite other RFCs

    * recommend how RFCs should be cited using the ACM, IEEE and MLA
	reference formats

    * recommend how RFCs should be represented in Bibtex

The motivation for the committee is two-fold.  First, the RSAG realized on
registering the ISSN for the RFC series that we didn't have a consensus
for how to fill in the various fields describing the series. Second,
it is widely recognized that the RFC series is cited in widely varying
ways and that following the leads of other professional societies who
publish recommended ways to cite their publications, we could considerably
improve access and ease of citation by issuing recommendations.

This note is an open call for folks in the RFC community with both
interest and experience in citation formats to volunteer to work
the committee.  We're going to try to work briskly on this topic
over the coming two months or so and get it wrapped up.

Volunteers please drop a note directly to me with a brief sketch of your
experience dealing with citation formats.

Thanks!

Craig

Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
Adjunct Professor, University of Michigan

E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com
Phone: +1 517 324 3425