[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jan 27 14:37:24 PST 2010

At 2:25 PM -0800 1/27/10, Joe Touch wrote:
>Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> At 1:26 PM -0800 1/27/10, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> Please explain what "canonical" means in reference to an RFC if not to
>>> the canonical text.
>>
>> The authoritative information about the RFC. In this case, the RFC Editor is the authority.
>
>That information is not authoritative at all. The RFC Editor provides
>it, but that doesn't make the RFC Editor an "authority".

OK, I guess that ends this discussion. Many of us here absolutely assume that the RFC Editor is the authority for RFCs, but if you don't, there cannot be any agreement.

As an aside, if the content returned by your view of the canonical URI is controlled by the RFC Editor, what would you call them other than "authoritative" for the content?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium