[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jan 27 13:19:07 PST 2010

At 1:13 PM -0800 1/27/10, Joe Touch wrote:
>I don't understand what a "canonical" pointer to an RFC is except the
>text URL.

Clearly.

>Information *about* the RFC is a different matter.

For you. For others, the canonical pointer to an RFC should lead to things like an archival pointer to the underlying RFC, metainfo about the RFC, pointers to other formats, and so on.

>As Brian said, both are useful, depending on the context. AFAICT, only
>one is *canonical*.

If you think "both are useful", then why have the canonical one be the one that returns much less information?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium