[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 26 18:32:07 PST 2010

Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>  Canonical URL:
>>    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc793.txt
>>
>> When that policy changes, then it would be useful to provide the URL to
>> the specific canonical document (.ps, .pdf, .xml, .wahoo, or whatever).
>
> This says "because now we have text as the canonical format, we
> should
> hard-code that into canonical URLs that will be used in the future". The
> Web community (that is, not the IETF) have found this type of statement
> to be short-sighted and, more importantly, unnecessary.

Our current documents don't cite "documents to be written in the
future". They cite docs that are already written. Either there are known
exceptions when the doc is written, or there are not. This is easy to
determine at publication time.

The time when this needs to change is when a non-txt RFC is cited. There
will be plenty of warning for that.

Joe