[rfc-i] DOIs

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 26 14:13:29 PST 2010

As far as I understand the DOI model, the "publisher" (here, the RFC editor) allocates the numbers after the / locally. Presumably, this can just be the RFC number, so the extra work is essentially zero.

Compared to URLs, the DOI is not protocol-dependent (i.e., will work after HTTP goes away) and happens to be somewhat shorter than the URL. I find it peculiar that, among all technical publications, RFCs consider themselves so special that they have to re-invent what the rest of the technical publishing community has already done.