[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Jan 26 14:05:43 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> At 1:18 PM -0800 1/26/10, Joe Touch wrote:
>>       http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc[0-9]+.txt
>
> Please, no. That means that the format can never be anything other than a text file.
>
> We had this discussion before, and the RFC Editor agreed to:
>        http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc[0-9]+

First, I agree with Paul this is sensible. This URI is for the
admin-metadata package

Then for each, there should be a corresponding URI for the RFC itself,
of the form Joe suggested, but without the trailing ".txt".  Web
clients and servers are plenty sophisticated enough to serve .txt
without the suffix, if that's what's desired.  And should the IETF
decide, at some future point, to bless some other format than legacy
ASCII, then everything will still work and nothing will break.  -Tim