[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jan 26 13:38:53 PST 2010

At 3:47 PM -0500 1/26/10, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>DOIs would be nice, given that every other technical paper of relevance now has one.

Having a DOI is not the same as a URI that is guaranteed to be resolvable in the way that the controlling organization wants.

At 1:18 PM -0800 1/26/10, Joe Touch wrote:
>AFAICT, the following pattern ought to be the one with the long-term
>commitment:
>
>	http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc[0-9]+.txt

Please, no. That means that the format can never be anything other than a text file.

We had this discussion before, and the RFC Editor agreed to:
        http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc[0-9]+
They have populated all of those with good information, including the canonical URLs for existing drafts. The /info/rfc[0-9]+ format should be the "canonical URI" for the foreseeable future.

Note, however, /info/bcp[0-9]+ is not (yet) populated. If the interim RSE (as compared to the transitional RSE...) wants to make that happen for BCP, FYI, and STD, that would be grand.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium