[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 26 13:18:37 PST 2010

DOIs appear to be just "yet another level of indirection", in much the
same way as TinyURLs. I.e., when the DOI website fails, you can't find
the info even if the destination site is available. The DOI system
doesn't maintain the actual docs, just a pointer. We have rfc-editor.org
for that.

Why do we need this level of indirection and additional point of failure?

AFAICT, the following pattern ought to be the one with the long-term
commitment:

	http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc[0-9]+.txt

My money is on rfc-editor.org being around long after doi.org has bitten
the dust.

Joe