[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Feb 8 12:27:37 PST 2010

Alfred � wrote:
\

> These pages have been produced rather quickly during the final
> stages of evolution of the draft that led to RFC 5741, and,
> as we all know, rapid prototyping is not going to be perfect.

No, the introduction of meta-pages was independent of RFC 5741, although
they happened to coincide in time.

This discussion suggests that the situation might have been clearer if
the meta-pages were named /info/rfcxxxx.meta (you see, I am a believer
in type suffixes.) Oh, well.

> The traditional  .../cgi-bin/rfcdoctype.pl?... style URLs there

Traditional!? No, a recent aberration, IMHO.
Tranditionally, the canonical form for an RFC was
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/rfcxxx.txt, and before that,
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/rfcxxxx.txt.

> Addtionally, having  /info/stdxxx , /info/bcpnnn , and  info/fyimmm
> pages would be a welcome addition.

This may be a useful idea, since STDs and BCPs have grown to have a life
of their own.  Probably not high priority, however (?)

Bob Braden