[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Feb 1 09:43:50 PST 2010

Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>> Honestly, that strikes me as being the absolute worst of all possible worlds.  You have a URL that might return a text file, might return a Postcript file, and in the future might return something else.  How is that useful to anyone?
>> It would be useful for anyone who wants to produce "the" canonical URI for a given RFC -- this is what started the whole discussion.
>
> Joe wants the canonical URL to use the http: scheme and to end with
> ".txt", even if the type of document is Postscript.

I want the canonical URL to use http: and to end with the suffix for the
authoritative version. For all but a handful of RFCs, this is .txt. For
some notable exceptions only it is .ps.

If I cite the .txt version today, and some time in the future this is
revised to be .qrp, *today* I am still citing only the .txt version.
I.e., the response should never change or be context sensitive, so it's
OK for the URL to be that specific.

Joe