[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Feb 1 09:32:34 PST 2010

At 6:02 PM +0100 2/1/10, Julian Reschke wrote:
>John R Levine wrote:
>>>For the exceptions above, that should return the PS. For all
>>>others, it should return the TXT.
>>
>>Honestly, that strikes me as being the absolute worst of all possible worlds.  You have a URL that might return a text file, might return a Postcript file, and in the future might return something else.  How is that useful to anyone?
>
>It would be useful for anyone who wants to produce "the" canonical URI for a given RFC -- this is what started the whole discussion.

Joe wants the canonical URL to use the http: scheme and to end with ".txt", even if the type of document is Postscript. John was arguing that such a canonical URL would be terrible. I agree with John: if we can choose our canonical URLs, making them look like they are text *even when they return another type* shows less engineering skill than one would expect.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium