[rfc-i] "canonical" URI for RFCs, BCPs

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Feb 1 08:47:32 PST 2010

> Librarians try to ensure that such indirections are temporary, until the
> card catalog is updated. I've never been to a library where such
> indirection was a persistent part of the indexing.

We must visit different libraries.  There are plenty of them in the stacks
at Yale and Cornell.

>> I think we all agree that the canonical URL needs to let people find
>> "the RFC", but it seems a bit overspecified to me to insist that it be
>> a direct link to a TXT file.
>
> It should be a link to the item being referenced, not a link "about"
> that file.

Yes, that is the unproductive metaphysical argument.

> For the exceptions above, that should return the PS. For all
> others, it should return the TXT.

Honestly, that strikes me as being the absolute worst of all possible
worlds.  You have a URL that might return a text file, might return a
Postcript file, and in the future might return something else.  How is
that useful to anyone?

Regards,