[rfc-i] Classifying pre-IETF RFCs

Mykyta Yevstifeyev evnikita2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 06:59:36 PST 2010

01.12.2010 16:48, Joe Touch wrote:
> Hi, Mykyta,
>
> On 12/1/2010 1:21 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
>> To my mind, if RFC Database reflects the status of RFC at the
>> moment of publishing, RFC 1000 is OK for classifying pre-1310
>> RFCs (as RFC 1310 make the classifying system 'modern').
>
> You should consider that RFC 1000 was NOT published at the time RFCs 1
> through 999 were published. I.e., if you agree that "status at the
> time published" is the right rule, then you MUST ignore RFC 1000's
> summary of it's informal organization of RFCs 1-999.
RFC 1000 is only listing RFCs 1-999 and mentioning their categories.
However not all RFCs 1-999 contain the category itself.

> And RFC1000 did not proscribe any classification of later RFCs, so no,
> it's not appropriate to apply it to pre-1310 either.
>
> These ~1300 RFCs were not classified when published.
No, they were. Look at RFC 100, which is a summary of RFCs 1-99, and
then RFC 1000, which is summary of RFCs 1-999. The had almost similar
classifying system. A part of these RFCs (1-999) contain category in
accordance with RFC1000. Why not all? - at the time they were published,
there were no exact requirements to RFCs.
> Let's not rewrite history.
>
> Joe

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev