[rfc-i] Classifying pre-IETF RFCs

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Dec 1 06:48:14 PST 2010

Hi, Mykyta,

On 12/1/2010 1:21 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> To my mind, if RFC Database reflects the status of RFC at the
> moment of publishing, RFC 1000 is OK for classifying pre-1310
> RFCs (as RFC 1310 make the classifying system 'modern').

You should consider that RFC 1000 was NOT published at the time RFCs 1
through 999 were published. I.e., if you agree that "status at the time
published" is the right rule, then you MUST ignore RFC 1000's summary of
it's informal organization of RFCs 1-999.

And RFC1000 did not proscribe any classification of later RFCs, so no,
it's not appropriate to apply it to pre-1310 either.

These ~1300 RFCs were not classified when published. Let's not rewrite
history.

Joe