[rfc-i] two new postings to RFC Series Editor web page: TRSE report #4 and Maastricht TRSE presentation to IAB

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Aug 26 10:51:27 PDT 2010

At 1:22 AM -0400 8/25/10, Glenn Kowack wrote:
>Transitional RFC Editor report #4 (Week #20) and the Maastricht TRSE presentation to the IAB were both just added to the RSE web page (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/RSE.html).  Questions and comments are most welcome.  Both should have been posted to the web site several weeks ago, but they are still very timely and contain much useful information.
>
>The presentation is in terse PowerPoint style, so requests for more detail are welcome.  There is an error in the last bullet on the 7th slide, which I have not corrected in the posted version, consistent with the strict policy of posting all reports without changes.  The error was:
>
>	"No stream may direct the content of another
>		- Exception: IESG review only to ascertain damage to Internet"
>
>The 2nd line should have said:
>		"- Note: IESG reviews IS Stream documents for IETF process work-arounds."

The wording in the slide is wrong, but so is the proposed correction. The actual wording from RFC 5742 (BCP 92) is:

   The RFC Editor reviews Independent Submission stream submissions for
   suitability for publication as RFCs.  As described in RFC 4846 [I3],
   the RFC Editor asks the IESG to review the documents for conflicts
   with the IETF standards process or work done in the IETF community.

   Similarly, documents intended for publication as part of the IRTF
   stream are sent to the IESG for review for conflicts with the IETF
   standards process or work done in the IETF community [I2].

A much better (as in, less contentious) replacement might be "Note: The IESG reviews both Independent Submission and IRTF stream submissions for conflicts with the IETF standards process or work done in the IETF community".

That is, "conflicts" is a larger bucket than "work-arounds", and "work done in the IETF community" is often not a work-around at all, but merely an oversight or lack of coordination.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium