[rfc-i] Proper way to include examples with yet-to-be-assigned values?

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:09:04 PDT 2010

On 8/12/2010 2:47 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Greetings again. I am co-author on a document that has examples that
> include values that we are simply guessing because they need to be
> assigned by IANA when the document becomes an RFC. That is, they come
> from a registry that (will soon be) "RFC required". We picked some
> numbers out of the air so that people could see what the rest of the
> format would look like, and put a big disclaimer at the top of the
> section with the examples.
> My questions:
> Is there a "best practices" for what to do in this situation.

Having just done this, I used:

> Is there a good way to mark this for the RFC Editor?

I did so in the IANA Considerations section:

14. IANA Considerations

    [Paragraphs below in braces should be removed by the RFC Editor upon

    [TCP-AO requires that IANA allocate a value from the TCP option Kind
    namespace, to be replaced for TCP-IANA-KIND throughout this

FYI. That's how I did it. YMMV.